Let this holiday season bring more smiles your way. Take a break to enjoy cooking with your kids with these simple tips.. Encourage your children to know more about cooking safely in the kitchen. Here are a few pointers to help you along.
Tips for Cooking with Kids
- Always have adult supervision when cooking or baking with kids.
- Wear an apron or old clothes to avoid staining good clothes.
- Do not wear loose clothing when cooking.
- While cooking on the stove, make sure all pot handles are turned away from the edge of the stove.
- Make sure you do not put kitchen towels, potholders, food packaging or recipes books or papers on or near burners.
- Use unbreakable bowls and utensils.
- Never use metal containers, foil, wire twist ties, or dishes with metal trim in the microwave.
- Always use potholders to remove containers from the microwave.
- Never turn on the microwave without something inside it.
- Be careful when eating food cooked in the microwave because the food may be much hotter than the container.
- Don’t plug too many appliances into the same outlet.
- Do not use an appliance with a frayed cord.
- Make sure that ingredients and foods that need refrigeration do not sit out too long.